Sunday 6 June 2010

6 June 2010- Persian Afternoon at The Secombe Theatre


This afternoon after a tip off from Jenny Roden, Head of Skills for Life - English Language, at SCOLA, I made my way to the Secombe Theatre in Sutton for a Persian afternoon. Not knowing what to expect I was pleasantly surprised and entertained at the same time. The Hafez Persian School had put together a full programme of dance, music, singing and performance. A very well attended session that had the Secombe Theatre almost full with an appreciative audience.
The foyer was decorated with various stands showcasing various artifacts and items from Persian culture. Morteza Salehi, Head of the Iranian Calligraphers Association of London, was also there showcasing some of the most beautiful calligraphy art work I'd seen and offered those interested the service of having their names printed in calligraphy, in Farsi.
During the interval I got to meet with a few students currently studying at SCOLA. I felt humbled hearing how proud they felt knowing that their Principal is from their country. It was great to see so many Iranians in one place. I was glad I hadn't forgotten my mother tongue. It was an afternoon well organised and a great pleasure to be part of.
The lyrics of Morg-e-Sahar, a popular Persian Classic song by "Malek-o-Shoaraye Bahar a famous persian poet captured my imagination. How apt to the world we live in...
Nightingale with folded wings,
From the corner of your cage,
Sing the song of freedom of the human race
With one fire-bearing sigh break this cage

Saboohi Famili- Principal

3 comments:

  1. I'm really pleased you enjoyed the event Saboohi. It would be great if this could be the start of stronger ties between SCOLA and the Iranian community in Sutton.

    Jenny Roden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have already contacte Nazanin the head teacher and she will come to meet with me soon to explore how we can work more closely together. Thank you for the Tip off.

    Saboohi Famili- Principal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this information. I have to let you know I concur on several of the points you make here and others may require some further review, but I can see your viewpoint. Iran Movies

    ReplyDelete